FRCNA 33 Support Committee Meetings

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ramon R. 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

shar smith
    Participant

The first support committee meeting for the planning and execution of FRCNA 33 is scheduled for this Sunday, August 4th from 10 am – 12 pm @ the Orlando World Center Marriott located at 8701 World Center Drive, Orlando. We will be meeting in the Harbor Beach room, which is located in the North Tower for this meeting.

The committee will continue to meet on the first Sunday of every even month up until the convention, please refer to future posts for upcoming support committee meeting locations.

FRC, Inc. encourages and invites participation from every area within the Florida Region and requests that every area send 12 representatives to the support meetings. RCM’s if your ASC does not have a policy regarding the election of FRC representatives; please encourage them to consider implementing such a policy.

Thank you in advance for your support and assistance in making FRCNA 33 successful!

Stan R
    Participant

Find an affordable place the convention was good but the place was a money sucking pit. $15 to park your car and if you left to go have lunch it cost you another $15. It looks like it is a convention only for the people with money. We can do better someplace else
    HUGS

Kate Aldinger-Adams
    Participant

We moved to this region 2 1/2 years ago and went to the convention this year to be a part of this, our new home region. We are on a fixed income and could not afford the hotel rates so we stayed at a much less expensive hotel a few miles away. We came to register on Thursday and since my husband is handicapped were not expecting the $15.00 parking fee. Since this was not figured into our budget we could only attend Saturday. Another addict staying at the hotel offered to come and get us on Friday but they became sick and couldn’t pick us up. I love NA but didn’t feel included in this convention. We were told that if you were bringing newcomers and they didn’t have the registration fee “don’t bother coming.” What happened to the spiritual principle of unity. I understand these plans were made before this committee put on the convention but didn’t anyone see this coming. We are all in this together….not just the HAVES.

Stan R
    Participant

We stayed at a different hotel for the same reason Kate jut was there for Saturday and Sunday. still spent $45 in parking. Hell the parking cost me more the eating out.

quinn lorenz
    Participant

I had thought this was local NA leaderships way of keeping out the ‘undesirables’. In my area, you have to belong to the right click, or group to serve. Special interest groups exist in NA.

Ramon R.
    Participant

Hey quinn fyi if you wanted to serve all you had to do was click on frcna volunteer link when it was up and you could of joined the click you can also go to the support committee meetings every area is asked to send 12 representatives. the first sunday of every even month at 10 am. my area is pretty cool they reimburse you a percentage of gas you should get with your rcm and i am sure they can help you be of service. after all if you guys don’t like what happens you have to be in it to change it.

quinn lorenz
    Participant

That ‘get in it to change it’ rhetoric is hollow. If gou dont agree, you just get run out. But I was more commenting on my own area than fricna with that.
    Fric is no different, the expensive hotel has been brought up before, by many. The standard reponce is suck it up…
    If you keep hiding the problems, you’ll never have a chance to fix them.

Chet D
    Participant

I helped out on a register Saturday for a couple hours and can tell you that newcomers were very welcome..
    We gave lots of free registrations.. If someone could pay great if not we asked them to do service. What bothered me was all the addicts with clean time.. Some substantial clean time taking advantage of the “no addict turned away” and that is what I find to be sad.

As far as the hotel being expensive… Well I do agree it was.. But I spent a lot of money in the past on non recovery events.. I have a whole year to save up to attend the convention and I also have the chance to attend local less expensive conventions.

Kate Aldinger-Adams
    Participant

I am not disputing what you and others experienced. I’m letting you know an addict from my area called, spoke to registration and was told this verbatim. She then called our RCM who repeated this information. They were supposed to come over and ride with us to save on the parking but being told “don’t bother coming”, they didn’t. We were one of those registrations who could only partially pay as we did not figure in the $15 parking fee per day. We were on a budget and had enough money to attend Saturday only. (handicap parking $15) And we did save for quite awhile for this event.
    Our group had a fantastic time on Saturday due to a couple of addicts opening their room to us so we could wash up and change for the evening activities. I apologize if we can not attend for the next 2 years as the convention is being held at the same venue. I apologize for voicing our experience and I guess we will take your suggestion of attending local, less expensive conventions.
    ILS, an addict named Kate’s experience.

Chet D
    Participant

I am sorry if you mis read my comment… I never give suggestions but spoke of my experience…

Kate Aldinger-Adams
    Participant

I’m an addict and sometimes see things that aren’t actually there. I will continue to attend local less expensive conventions. I was trying something different and found It outta my league.
    Thanks.

Kate Aldinger-Adams
    Participant

I tried to become part of the convention committee in 2011 but I only had experience at the area level for 4 years.

Lisa C.
    Participant

I have been in this Region for a long time. My first FRCNA was FRCNA6. I have heard a few addicts mention that they have been to EVERY FRCNA since they got clean, for some, all 32 of them. That would be great. But the reality is that I have missed several FRCNAs since 1986, because I could not afford to go. It is a fact of life that I cannot afford everything I want. In those years that I could not afford to go, I didn’t go. It never occurred to me to just show up and expect to be able to attend. NA has taught me to be self-supporting.

That said, as part of registration we quickly became aware of the parking issue and we DID work with people who were surprised by the extra cost. Many of us budget conventions pretty tightly and the $15 parking was definitely an unexpected and very real problem.

There is a different issue that is also a very real problem. There were way too many people, not newcomers (those with 30 days or less), who showed up and said they couldn’t pay anything. Not because of parking fees, but because they had no money and rode up with a friend. This is becoming a real problem. I agree that we need to look at ways to make the convention more affordable, but this would not make a difference to those in the “I have no money” group. As far as I know, FRCNA does not receive money from Region, no 7th Tradition is used. It is paid for by registrations. Those who cannot afford it still have access to meetings in their Areas. They are not prevented from getting recovery if they cannot attend FRCNA. We are not “entitled” to attend FRCNA just because it is an NA event. It is a PAID NA event. Please stop telling addicts to just find a way up there and they will be “taken care of” unless you plan to buy their registration for them when they arrive. Newcomer donations pay for NEWCOMER packages for those with less than 30 days. When I cannot afford the registration and the gas to go (which has nothing to do with the unexpected fees above), I don’t plan to go.

As for getting involved – I joined the registration support committee to try to help find ways to make the registration more affordable. I am hopeful that the hotel fees can also be worked on by the support committee involved with that.

Stan R
    Participant

The bottom line is the place is WAY to much money and they have us hostage to keep all the money being spent on site. I went into Orlando in international drive got a room thru expidia for something it was $59 I dove right by a place that has a convention facility. We should check it out there where plenty on nce places to stay on the international drive and more good places to eat than I could count. Plus the people that can go home everyday would not have to pay $15 to park. IF I go next year I will bring a Big cooler and eat in the $15 parking lot It cost me $45 dollars to leave and come back 3 times. I totally understand that we are not professional finding the venue for our convention. But if this is the best we care do I think looking into paying and event planning company to assist us. I was told that we did not have as many people come as was expected well guess what it won’t be better next year. Find andother place and pay them to get released from out contract.

Bob
    Participant

To not expect a parking fee at a major convention hotel is probably unrealistic. Nor is the $15 price. I traveled extensively in the past month staying at 6 average priced hotels in five weeks. The least expensive parking fee was $14.75. One of this Marriott hotel benefits is If you ate in one of their restaurants you got the parking for $6. These parking fees are typically not negotiable for any size group.

I was fortunate to attend this year, several friends made it possible for me to do so. I understand the cost of the events, but, if I don’t have the money or rewards points/frequent flyer miles then I don’t go. Attendance at conventions isn’t a right of membership.

Personally I was disappointed in the hotel itself. It was too large….., to hold two conventions of 2,000 and 2,500 attendees at the same time and still have room for another convention it totally lost intimacy over other medium sized hotels we typically go too. I also don’t like the idea of holding the event in the same facility on a long-term basis (3 years) at a hotel that lacks intimacy. I also don’t like being stuck in the I-4 corridor for 5 years either.

I understand the realities of finding a better quality hotel that has the number of rooms needed, the amount of meeting space required at an acceptable price point on July 4th weekend each year. But there are other cities, there are other hotels and there are other options even at the same prices.

Bob

Stan R
    Participant

I guess I am expected to pay $15 to park my car to come do service also.

Kate Aldinger-Adams
    Participant

In response to adding 12 FRCNA representatives to our area POLICY. We have it written in our guidelines that our policy chair attends 2 regions per her tenure and is reimbursed by area when funds are available. We have voted TWICE not to reimburse her when funds were available the second time. Who would pay for these representatives from each area to attend? Would this be expected of them each month and what about those who want to serve but have room opener commitments, family gatherings or just go to activities on another level. I understand you have to do it sometime but why always on Sunday.

Ramon R.
    Participant

it’s only 1st Sunday every even month and you guys are right next door i drive in on the day off whats 20 dollars in gas really.

Stan R
    Participant

Does the committee realize that the first sunday of September is also part of world convention and the world wide unity day link up. Might want to change that date. I know my home group is taking part in the link up.
    Food for thought

Ramon R.
    Participant

THEY MEET 1 ST SUNDAY OF EVEN MONTH STAN I THINK SEPT. IS ODD MONTH

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.